Monday, April 17, 2006

Thailand and Vietnam

In January 2008 I decided to travel on my own to Thailand and Vietnam. I wanted to find out how well I would do in hopes of traveling more when I retire for greater lengths of time. I chose to return to three of my favorite spots Chiang Mai, Thailand, Hanoi and Hoi An, Vietnam. My trip was just over two weeks long with stays of five days in each place.

After landing in Bangkok, Thailand I caught the first flight to Chiang Mai. Although it would be my third time there it would be my longest stay. I wanted to have more time to explore and relax. The weather in January was perfect with warm days and cool nights. I did a lot of walking and revisted some of the places from my last trips.

Each morning I would get up early and get something to eat and drink at the market down the street from my hotel. Here I would find the locals buying their fresh produce, meats, and fish for the day. One morning I bought an egg pancake, fried pastry, and fresh orange juice for breakfast and beef, rice, and noodle for lunch--- all for 54 Baht or $ 2.00 U.S. At Buak Haad Park, I read and planned my day's activities as the locals jogged by and exercised.

After the first couple of evenings, I discovered this was the time when the tourists came out in droves filling up the restaurants and bars. I soon became discouraged and not wanting to be "one of them" was determined to eat where the locals ate and venture out away from the city. I chose to eat my dinners at the street vendors where I would try two or three different dishes each evening. These were the same foods that were found in the restaurants but at a cheaper price and I got to eat with the locals instead of other tourists.

To get away I rented a bicycle and rode out of the city on a four hour trip that took me past farms and small towns. Out there nothing is written or spoken in English. After having lunch in a roadside cafe, I traveled back along the Ping River that led me back to Chiang Mai. One evening, I spent a couple of hours at Wat Suan Dok where you can "chat" with the monks. They get to practice their English and you get to learn about their religion and lives.

My next stop was Hanoi where it was winter and much colder. Once again, I stayed in the Old Quarter near Hoan Kiem Lake. I spent as much time as I could meeting with the locals. My goals were to learn as much about them as possible and investigate the possibility of returning for months at some time in the future.

Hanoi was celebrating it's birth from 1,000 years ago. There was a parade with floats and representatives from nearby provinces. Music, entertainers, and speeches continued through the weekend. Young women were dressed in their long, beautiful Ao Dais.

I met Nga, Diep, Huong, Quyet, Ming, Sam, and Min at the park surrounding the lake. Most were young university students with a great desire and determination to learn English. They know this will help them secure a better career. I spent time with them having coffee, lunch, dinner and riding the city bus to visit the zoo and museums. They were very interested in learning about life in America.

My last destination was Hoi An where it was much warmer than Hanoi. I spent most of my time with a family I met last year. They live across the bridge on Cam Nam Island. The family of eight run a beauty salon, massage parlor, laundry service and store from the lower portion of the house they live in. We spent each day exploring the area on scooters, eating at seafood restaurants, and socializing in the evening at one of the many coffee cafes. At one "floating" restaurant on the river, we ate and watched them fish for our next meal. In the picture a man sits in a lean-to suspended over the water. Turning a wheel lowers the poles and net into the water and, then, turning the wheel in the opposite direction raises the poles and lifts the net out of the water capturing the fish. Hoi An is known for it's seafood and my last night was spent eating a dinner of salad, fried rice, chicken, squid and beer on Cou Dai Beach.






































































0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home